Thursday, May 31, 2012

Better Day

You know that better day that we all seem to be waiting for?  Well, today seemed to be that day for me.  We had a very early appointment but it all turned out very well and in fact I was able to enjoy some time at “Off the Leaf”…and that my dear friends was caffeinated time!  I knocked back a nice double shot Milky Way and Lovely had another of her green tea experiments…it impressed them enough where they put a nice golden star on hers…I guess we can’t all be that fancy now can we?  I found out I was underfeeding our salamander some so I remedied that…this is the look of a satisfied salamander:  .  I don’t think I can match that look of bliss even after some espresso! 

The weather broke and is warming again at last…it was truly amazing today.  The latest snap dragon blooms are looking very niceand so I thought I’d head out toward the pond and see what I could see for a change.  It seems to be a real haven for the red wing black birds who love to perch on whatever they can find in the prairie around the pond.  Truth is I always find that when I venture near the pond no matter what my first intention I find my lens turning to the cat tails…don’t know why, I just love themand rather than robbing from the charm I find the bearded look is quite becoming to them.  I often think of that old phrase:  “…until the cows come home.”  I think you could safely say they did!  I love to see them out to pasture again because that is just another sign that warmer days are ahead.  I should have spent more of the wonderful day sitting and getting closer shots of the birds but I had other things in mind…this was my last black bird shot.  I couldn’t leave without a few more cat tail shots…these were quite blown out.  They must be very sturdy to last through our brutal winters I have to say…the wear and tear shows but here they are still.  There are other smaller, more fragile appearing remnants from last year that are out there.  These plants were all waiting for a better day…they made it though they are now dry and no longer vibrant…yet still they stand and that to me is really worth something.  The grass in the background is more vital and seems to relish its youth but these brown and dry flowers have a wiser appearance that I still appreciate for the quiet lesson it teaches.  I took a final gland back through the new green of some small bushes…I love that green but I also love the golden color of the more experienced plants out there…it’s a winning combination.  It doesn’t matter whether your better day finds you young or old…be glad that you’re still standing and don’t forget to thank God who gave it too you!  Opening our gate I glanced down and see a rock that Gabby calls the smiley stone…it’s a funny thing…looking at it right now…it doesn’t seem to be a very happy stone…of course…maybe I’m just looking at it wrong……hmm, perspective is a funny thing.

8 comments:

  1. I just love your pictures. The good and bad days are part of our lives, and the bad ones makes us appreciate the good one all the more. God's plan to make us see the light, so to speak?

    Thanks for the help. Verification is now off I hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it worked for you my friend...I'll be back to visit when you post again. Thank you kindly for your visit and comment, I truly appreciate your friendship!

      Delete
  2. I thank God each day that he has given me another chance to be a better person.

    The pictures are great Joe and I like the narrative that goes with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Opportunities are golden anyway you look at it but for sure doing the right thing with that opportunity is just as beneficial. Thank you so very much for visiting Beth, I hope the day finds you well.

      Delete
  3. glad you had a better day! and i love the pics as well ... but those cat tails look kinda spooked! :D
    k☼

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone needs a better day every once in a while. The cat tails do seem nervous...or perhaps just frazzled from the seasons they've lived through.

      Delete
  4. Hi Joe,

    I am pleased you had a better day, thanks for sharing that and the pictures. Perspective sure is a funny thing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear when someone else has a breakthrough of some sort even when I'm waiting on one of my own...maybe especially then...it gives hope that I won't have to wait forever. Bless you Nita, I'm still remembering you in prayer.

      Delete