Thursday, August 1, 2013

The Zoo, Universal Studios and a Filipino Restaurant

Our family is very much an animal loving family so visiting the zoo was a great experience in Florida.  Each section had its theme…the first one had an Asian flare to itDSC02490.  Our little zoo here in our town is nothing to this one.  Just look at this huge Komodo DragonDSC02491 !  We don’t even have monkeys in our zoo here but there was no shortage of them in the Florida zooDSC02492.  It was very hot and some of them chose to sit literally in the waterfall display while others sat on the various wood platforms that had been built for themDSC02494.  Next we moved on to an African themed section of the zooDSC02495.  I enjoy flowers as much as animals at times…these I remember well from the Philippines and AfricaDSC02496.  Some animals have such personality that even sitting around they are a joy to seeDSC02497 .  I love doors…these may not be the amazing doors that Dublin is so famous for but I like them none the lessDSC02498.  These have an old world flare don’t you thinkDSC02499?  The tortoises were surprisingly active…ever roaming around their enclosureDSC02500.  Who doesn’t love GiraffesDSC02501.  These were sparing lightly by hitting each other with their long necksDSC02503.  This one we were able to feed after paying a small feeDSC02504.  The zoo was filled with interesting masksDSC02505and designs that I really likedDSC02506.  We had time to notice as we took shelter from occasional downpoursDSC02507.  The birds didn’t seem to mind the rain at allDSC02508.  Gabby was prepared for the rain at leastDSC02511.  Here she is leaving the Giraffe areaDSC02513.  The flowers thrive on the rain for sureDSC02514.  The Wallabies didn’t seem quite so thrilled with the rain…doesn’t this one look a bit sadDSC02515.  Maybe it’s because the trees in this are didn’t provide much shelter for themDSC02516.  They may not have looked thrilled but I love looking at them anywayDSC02517.  A wedding was being held in the zoo so we had to leave…the last thing we saw were these Mandrills…what unusual creaturesDSC02518!  My daughter is a huge Harry Potter fan so Universal Studios Hogwarts was a particular joy to witnessDSC02519.  I heard it took many years to get it right with the author’s input and I believe itDSC02521!  Filipino food is prevalent in Florida and we so much enjoyed going and eating it.  It felt so much like the restaurants we enjoyed in the PhilippinesDSC02522  .  Thata, Meliza, Miles and Vince…we love you guys so very muchDSC02526.  Such enjoyable dishesDSC02527!  The barbecue is to die forDSC02528!  Be still my beating heart (and growling stomach)DSC02529!  Pinakbet…oh how I love itDSC02530!  Real SiaopaoDSC02531!  These delightful meat filled treats are so goodDSC02532!  Last but not least what Filipino feast would be complete without Halo-haloDSC02534?  Here’s Danielle, Gabby and Meliza…such good timesDSC02535and last but not least Mike and Thata join the crewDSC02536!  Miss you all so very much!

18 comments:

  1. Hi Joe, what a great tour! Your photos are wonderful, I thoroughly enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda, it's a pleasure to share them with you!

      Delete
  2. I am a lover of the zoo. I too am a Potter fan. Love the castle. Wow. Your lids have grown so much. Where did the time go? Beautiful family Joe. I too have a love for odd doors. These were fascinating.
    Thank you for the tour. The foods are foreign to me.No pun intended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zoos are wonderful things aren't they? I'm only now beginning to read Harry Potter...better late then never! Pun intended or not it made me smile! Thanks for stopping by Toodie!

      Delete
  3. Hi Joe, I really loved seeing the animals. We here are animals lovers as you know so they really grab my attention also. I love the doors. Beautiful. Your family is growing so much and your little one is really a gorgeous little girl with her braids. Time goes by so fast and I see your enjoying every minute you can with your family. Its warming up here so I put my wools sweaters aside for now.:) Have a wonderful weekend coming up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a joy to hear from you Lisa! Animals really are a great gift from God. I know some can be dangerous but they are still a wonder to behold. The kids are really growing up. Our oldest is working now...I have one less to teach this year...time flies! We had violent weather today with good sized hail...cooler...up one place, down another. Have a great weekend as well!

      Delete
  4. Great photos Joe! I feel like we were on the tour with you. I loved the Komodo Dragon pic and also the Meerkat one haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to have you along for the virtual tour Keith! That dragon was the epitome of lazy but I don't think he raised lazy to an art form like those Meerkats!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. It was a very good time John...those are times to treasure when things aren't so nice.

      Delete
  6. Hi Joe,

    It is some time since I visited a zoo, but I always enjoy doing so. Thank you for your visits to me and your encouragement - God Bless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't visit the zoo all that often either...partly because our local one isn't very good. I will continue to stand with you my friend. I have no doubt you would do the same for me. Blessings to you.

      Delete
  7. Wonderful photos of a great time Joe. I know that this trip will be memorable for a long time. First time I visited a large Zoo I was shocked at how LARGE the animals really are. A panther or lion is as big as a CAR etc. I can only imagine what they look like in their natural habitat and how scary with NO BARS to separate us. Glad you and the family had a good time. Love Gabby's photo she is getting so grown up. My how time flies.. Miss visiting the blogs..hope to get back to normal soon. Keeping fingers crossed.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know just what you mean about the animals! It just never gets old to me. I've seen a lot of wildlife in the wild but not things like lions though I've been to Africa...even India where tigers reside but I only saw them in game preserves. I hope things get to functioning normally for you too, I know it's been frustrating.

      Delete
  8. Blue coloured ice? Joe is that eatable lol
    i want food now seeing that table njam njam
    those mandrills they have such a wierd ass I Always wodner why they dont wear pants.
    Its a joy to walk with u and ur family trough the park
    tc Joe Huggy and be well enjoy the moments I know u do for 200%
    Mj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The purple ice cream is called: ube. It's a sweet yam flavor...I've learned to really like it. LOL, I had to smile at the thought of Mandrills wearing pants...they could use it!

      Delete
  9. Oh I want some of that blue ice cream made from sweet yams, that has to be good for you fight... So many more memories you have made for your family and the wonderful new foods you are always experiencing. Hope you and your family have a great week. Hugs Carrie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good week thought it certainly can't compare to our time in Florida my friend. The good news is those memories make a dull day better and I'm very grateful for that. Those foods are quite familiar to my wife since she's Filipino and from the Philippines and to me from all my mission trips there...it was great to be reunited with family and food I must say! Hope all is well with you!

      Delete