Thursday, October 17, 2013

Hawkish

We had a visitor recently.  Not one we particularly expected.  During our walks we witness them at times…once one was even eating on someone’s driveway.  This time was very close…right on our deck in factDSC02832.  I believe this is a prairie falcon…enjoying his morning breakfastDSC02833.  Sadly these photos are through some dirty windows…lot’s of rain lately.  Still it was an amazing sight to beholdDSC02834.  The poor bird he was eating was being absolutely shreddedDSC02835.  It was before my breakfast but I was fine to not share with the falconDSC02840.  I enjoyed my coffee and watched the falcon until it flew awayDSC02841.  Times like this I wouldn’t trade living in Montana for anything in the world.

14 comments:

  1. Oh wow Joe what wonderful captures!! I've never seen a falcon in the wild but have always wanted to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i have seen plenty of red tailed hawks...wonderful but this was a close up of a prairie falcon ( I think ) It was a privilege to see.

      Delete
  2. That was truly a sight to see Joe. You got some marvelous photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only wish it wasn't through the window :(

      Delete
  3. Wow! Nature doing it's thing. Nothing like it. Amazing the universe God has created. Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was brutal yet amazing...sadly I didn't get a shot from outside...it would have made a far better picture.

      Delete
  4. You got some great captures here, Joe!!! I have never seen a falcon around my area, so this is quite something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's some debate over what this bird actually is...it may be a sharp shinned hawk...not totally sure though. Either way it was great to see something like that on our deck.

      Delete
  5. Falcons love pigeons/doves, their delicacy. Amazing to watch them swoop in on their prey in mid air. Enjoyed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally identified it...this is a sharp shinned hawk...fascinating and majestic bird!

      Delete
  6. Great photo. He wanted to share breakfast with you lol. I have seen a falcon in WI and it was amazing/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Magnificent birds! He joined me for coffee and I loved it...but I'm glad I wasn't eating bacon while watching him...ugh!

      Delete
  7. What a Beauty Joe. He is amazing. Glad you caught him . Moments like this are a treasure for sure.

    I have a beaver across the road making a dam and at night I can hear that big bugger at work. I love it. :) .. but my trees are going down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, it's a very special thing to witness things like this...I knew you'd appreciate it. I wasn't happy to take pictures through the window but it was that or nothing.

      Delete