Thursday, July 4, 2013

237 Years of Freedom

We often have very visual demonstrations in our church to illustrate what we believe God is saying.  Yesterday one of these demonstrations included stars that had the number 237 on them.  This of course is in memory of 237 years of freedom in the United States of America.  Later we also saw the flag folded 13 times and were reminded what this means.  If you want to know the meaning check here:  http://www.americanflags.com/whywefofl13t.html.  It’s an amazing thing to think of all these blessings and realize that with that there must surely be a hope for the future.  Benjamin Franklin said it’s a republic if we can keep it.  This is my full intention.  Such a price has been paid for our freedom…we can’t simply let it all go.  Each day we need to remind ourselves just what it means.  This is something for today and every single day.  God bless America! 

I continue to remember our family in Florida today.  The familiar there is not so familiar here.  There was a system of pipes colored a rather peculiar color that we passed each time we headed to or from Thata’s houseDSC02444.  I enjoyed sitting out on the driveway in the morning and drinking my coffee while watching the antics of the squirrels performing their acrobatic featsDSC02445.  The trees are different from ours in Montana and I enjoyed the contrast of their neighborhood versus oursDSC02446.  Here we enjoy Robins, Western Meadowlarks, Mallards and Canadian Geese.  Florida has it’s own variety.  A nice White Ibis came to visit as I sat in my chairDSC02449.  The other thing that reminds me forcefully of my times abroad are the lizards.  They are quite funny with their little territories to be defended and mates to be attractedDSC02450.  They’re not easy to catch but I did manage several times to catch them…I love animals great and small…God is so very creative!  I absolutely love the Spanish moss that seems to be everywhereDSC02451.  The trees are so well garnishedDSC02452!  Well, this is a bit of a short entry for the holiday.  Blessings to you all.  Have a blessed Independence Day…don’t forget what the day is all about and why you’re able to do what you do with your family.

13 comments:

  1. Hi Joe, what a lovely tribute and explanation of July 4th. Thank you!
    I am so enjoying your photos here! The squirrel, the white ibis (have never seen one in Montreal!), and the lizard is really cute! Thank you so much for sharing, my friend, I really enjoy your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly for stopping by my friend, I've been very grateful for you blog as well. Have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  2. Wow Joe it looks like you had a regular zoo there haha. I hope you had a great 4th of July my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a zoo! LOL! It was a very nice 4th as a matter of fact...I hope yours was great too!

      Delete
  3. Oh it is always so good to see something from you. Due to family business I am not always home or energetic enough to get around but I am glad to be here today right here seeing what you have to say. I loved FL and I wish I were still there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've noticed you're not as active these days my friend. I have done little but observe on FB because I just don't like how it is over there...too narcissistic for my likes. I'm so glad you made it over here today. I loved every inch of Florida...can't say I'd want to live there but I wish we could visit yearly. Hope you had a wonderful Independence Day!

      Delete
  4. lizards First we had one in our room in Sri Lanka i felt a bit yekky But now im used to it. They dont fall from the ceiling when u sleep. That was my first meetings problem lol
    hehe that white ibis is a beauty when u have that bird walkign around u.
    and for the rest Joe. We have some family health probs..serious ones
    so im not that much here on the computer.
    huggy and stay as u are. A good person.
    God bless u and ur family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had a fear of reptiles. They ear fascinating to me. Florida now holds some really great memories and we hope to return. I'm sorry about the health issues in your family. I'll remember you in prayer today my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I watched The Animal Planet for the first time yesterday and they were talking about South Florida and its Wild African Phthon Snake. 10 ft long and a mean biting killing machine the Animal Planet narrator said. They don't usually say that about any animal they said but in this case, it was true. They showed some pretty grueling sights. Now FL sure wasn't that way when I lived there but then, people weren't setting their pet mambas and other snakes loose as they are now so the pythons and mambas are totally upsetting the eco system. They go thru towns in drainage ditches and right up into animal pens and so on. I frankly would be nervous to be there in south Florida right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Joe, I hope and pray there is a change coming a a good one. I have not heard about the numbers you mentioned. That I have took at.

    Your trees are just beautiful. That little critter is so cute also. Happy to see you come by. Im going to be away for a few weeks fishing I think if all goes well with the roads and weather.
    Stay safe. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That hyper links shows the numbers...it's really fascinating if you ask me. We head out to a mountain cabin before long too. We returned from Florida not long ago and I'm already longing for another break.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favorite when I was in Florida was those trees drenched in moss. I could never get enough of seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that too Carie, what a marvelous thing to see!

      Delete